Promoting a more sustainable campus.
Student Life is proud to be a leader in sustainability. We aim to create real change on campus through academic programming, student and staff initiatives, and taking a look at improving our facilities and operations. See what we’ve been doing to build a better, healthier community at U-M!
Student Leadership, Applied and Experiential Learning
- Learning and leadership opportunities through Planet Blue Student Leaders, the U-M Sustainable Food Program, and the Student Sustainability Coalition in partnership with Graham Institute.
- Project-based internships and research opportunities.
- Academic partnerships that use our campus as a living-learning lab.
Sustainability Culture for Staff & Students
- Increasing sustainability knowledge, skills, and behaviors among Student Life staff.
- Integrating sustainability basics into the U-M student experience.
- Supporting student-led, peer-to-peer learning, training and workshops to further sustainability engagement.
Student Life Facilities and Operations
- Tracking, managing, and reducing energy, waste, water, and steam.
- Supporting sustainable changes to reduce carbon and cost, including building retrofit, LED re-lighting, garden space and more.
- Developing sustainability opportunities for students and staff to participate, such as the compost rollout to all residence halls.